Safe Working Near Water (SWNW)
The Safe Working Near Water course is designed for people tasked with working near water and who will be issued with lifejackets but will not be expected to intentionally enter the water, eg EA, SEPA, NRW personnel, construction industry workers, road and bridge maintenance workers.
- 6 hours (1 day)
Rescue 3 Europe
Course content includes
- About Rescue 3
- Workplace legislation
- Safe systems of work
- Risk assessments
- Pre-planning for emergencies
- Water hazards
- Cold water considerations
- Mud, ice and coastal considerations
- Biosecurity and environmental considerations
- Medical and decontamination considerations
- Lifejackets and PPE selection
- Lifejacket maintenance, periodic inspection and transportation
- Lifejacket firing mechanisms
- Lifejacket accidental inflation risks
- Pre- and post-use lifejacket checks
- Lifejacket inflation and deflation – auto/manual
- Swimming and self-rescue in lifejackets
- Throwbags and other conditional rescues
- Exiting the water
Course standard, learning outcomes and key teaching points
The course standards, learning outcomes and key teaching points are provided as pre- and post-course reference for people involved in the delivery of Rescue 3 courses (eg Rescue 3 training providers, instructors and students). They are not to be used for any other purpose without the express written permission of Rescue 3 Europe.
Qualification valid for:
- 3 years
Student resources for Rescue 3 courses can be accessed here.
Instructor resources for Rescue 3 courses can be accessed here.