Water and Flood Awareness (AW)
A classroom-based course, designed to provide personnel who may be working near water with sufficient knowledge to be aware of the hazards created by this environment, and develop an understanding of water rescue techniques. The Water and Flood Awareness course is for those supporting rescue teams. The comparable course for personnel within industry who may be called to work near water is Water Awareness and Safety (WAS).
6 hours (1 day)
Course content includes
- Rescue 3 philosophy
- Training standards
- Best practice guidelines for water rescue
- Hydrology and water hazards
- Personal equipment
- Technical and team equipment
- Risk assessments
- Incident size-up considerations
- Incident management and site control
- Medical and decontamination considerations
- Considerations for night/poor visibility operations
- Mud, ice and unstable surface considerations
- Accidental immersion considerations
- Floodwater dynamics and hazards
- Flood theory
- Dry land practice of conditional rescues – talk, reach, throw (if used by agency)
Course standard, learning outcomes and key teaching points
The course standards, learning outcomes and key teaching points are provided as pre- and post-course reference for people involved in the delivery of Rescue 3 courses (eg Rescue 3 training providers, instructors and students). They are not to be used for any other purpose without the express written permission of Rescue 3 Europe.
Module 1 – Water Awareness – General water safety awareness training and basic land-based rescue techniques
Qualification valid for:
- Water and Flood Awareness Instructor (AWI)
- Basic Water Rescue Instructor (BWRI)
- Swiftwater and Flood Rescue First Responder Instructor (SFRI)
- Swiftwater and Flood Rescue Technician Instructor (SRTI)
- Swiftwater and Flood Rescue Technician Advanced – Water Instructor (SRTAWI)
- Swiftwater and Flood Rescue Technician Advanced (Water and Rope) Instructor (SRTAI)
Student resources for Rescue 3 courses can be accessed here.
Instructor resources for Rescue 3 courses can be accessed here.